Offering Black Friday deals as an artist can be a great way to boost your sales and attract new customers, but it’s essential to balance discounts with your need for profit. Here are five things to consider when creating promotions for your art:
Determine Your Discount Structure:
- Decide on the type of discounts you want to offer. You can create a percentage discount (e.g., 20% off), a specific amount off (e.g., $50 off), or buy-one-get-one (BOGO) deals.
- Calculate the minimum discount that still allows you to cover your production costs and make a reasonable profit. Ensure the final price is attractive to customers and you don’t operate at a loss.
- Consider if you even want to create a discount. Do your customers buy from you because of a higher perceived value? If so, discounts may hurt your art business.
Set Clear Goals:
- Define your objectives for the Black Friday promotion. Are you looking to increase sales volume, clear out old inventory, attract new customers, or reward loyal patrons? Knowing your goals will help you tailor your promotions effectively.
Promote Exclusivity and Urgency:
- Create a sense of urgency by setting a specific timeframe for your Black Friday deals. For example, you can run the promotion for a limited time, the entire weekend, or just a day.
- Promote exclusivity by offering these deals to your newsletter subscribers or social media followers before the general public. Letting your community know first allows them to purchase one-of-a-kind art pieces before the public can buy them.
Bundle and Cross-Promote:
- Consider bundling your art pieces with related items, such as soaps, candles, or merchandise. Bundles can create a perception of added value and help you maintain profit margins.
- Collaborate with other artists or businesses for cross-promotion. You can recommend each other’s work to your audiences, potentially expanding your customer base.
Plan Your Marketing Strategy:
- Develop a comprehensive marketing plan, including email marketing, social media posts, blog content, and paid advertising. Use high-quality visuals of your artwork to make your promotions visually appealing.
- Use storytelling to engage potential customers. Share the inspiration and creative process behind your art. Personal connections can boost sales and customer loyalty.
- Join a virtual market or in person market to increase holiday sales.
Unlocking your success on black Friday requires a comprehensive plan. Remember that your pricing and profit margins should align with your long-term business goals. While Black Friday is a great way to attract new eyes to your art and boost sales, it’s crucial to ensure that your pricing strategy remains sustainable. Additionally, being prepared for increased demand means increased time providing customer service and shipping your art.
Add your thoughts on Black Friday sales in the comments. Do you have any additional tips you would give your fellow artists?